John Grimley provides custom-tailored communications services to companies, organizations and professional services firms operating in international markets, Representative examples of his work include:
- Assisted a Vietnam-based elite boutique law firm establish a law blog dedicated to Vietnamese law for foreign investors, multinational corporations and domestic companies.
- Assisted an AmLaw 200 law firm partner establish a blog dedicated to a national market in the MENA region, including ongoing editorial direction and research.
- Assisted a Southern California elite boutique law firm specializing in corporate M&A and securities law establish a law blog dedicated to these and other related specialisms. Efforts included the research and drafting of topical articles.
- Assisted a Mexico City boutique law firm establish a law blog dedicated to Mexican telecom, energy and other domestic legal specialisms focused on foreign investors. Efforts included research and drafting of topical articles.
- Provided editorial direction for digital and offline content creation to law firms on subjects ranging from corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, SEC compliance, private equity, energy, international trade, trusts & estates, corporate insolvency, EU competition, US federal regulatory advocacy, China’s One Belt One Road infrastructure initiative, French corporate, Brazilian public procurement, Mexican energy and corporate law, Iraq oil & gas and infrastructure law, Vietnamese corporate and finance law and Malaysian cross-border trade and investment facilitation.
- Edit and publish a blog and social media channels on topics related to the business of law in the Asia-Pacific legal markets.
Media Relations materials
- Researched and drafted media releases and provided follow-up media commentary for members of the California Legislature, British parliamentarians, EU-focused public affairs consultants, a US Am Law 100 law firm, an international non-governmental organization, an elite US communications consulting firm, US and European think tanks, US real estate development companies, and a regional elite boutique US law firm.
- Researched and drafted substantive responses to media enquiries on legal market trends in the Asia-Pacific region for the managing director of an elite regional legal and compliance recruiter.
- Researched and drafted talking points for the CEO of a China-based multinational company on US-China bilateral trade and investment for presentation to a televised US think tank event on the same subject.
Custom Proposals and RFP’s
- Researched and drafted custom proposals and requests for proposals (RFP’s) for the CEO’s of multinational companies, small and medium-sized enterprises, heads of EU member state governments, senior government ministers in the MENA region, heads of national trade associations, heads of multilateral development banks and the managing directors of private equity firms, hedge funds and funds of funds.
- Researched and drafted comprehensive market research studies for Asia-Pacific region elite boutique law firms and international European and US law firms in support of their international strategic decision-making.
- Helped a London-based lawyer and specialist in sub-Saharan Africa infrastructure and finance law craft a custom written business development plan for a leading international law firm.
- Researched and drafted extensive corporate profiles for use by US lawyers in relation to international business development activities in Europe, the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and Asia-Pacific regions.
- Helped a Central and Eastern European Region (CEE) attorney create a comprehensive written business development plan for a global law firm.
- Researched and drafted a report on Asia-Pacific region national economies and key industry sectors for use by an international law firm seeking to expand into the region.
Semi-scholarly writing and research
- Researched and drafted semi-scholarly pamphlets, newsletters, website content and topical articles for US and EU think tanks.
- Researched and drafted semi-scholarly articles and pamphlets on behalf of British and European former cabinet level officials and parliamentarians on European Union governance issues.
- Researched and drafted studies, legislation, proclamations, messages and correspondence on a wide range of domestic and international public policy topics on behalf of US state and federal legislators and one US President.
- Researched and drafted a speech before a major international legal conference for the Managing Partner of an elite Asia-Pacific boutique law firm on China’s One Belt One Road initiative and its’ implications for law firm leaders in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Researched and drafted talking points for use by the managing partner of an elite Asia-Pacific boutique law firm for use before a major regional legal conference in a presentation on trends in ASEAN region alternative dispute resolution for foreign and domestic companies.
- Researched and provided public commentary on topics including US foreign policy, international trade and investment faciliation, international patent and trademark trends and Asia-Pacific region economic and business trends before European business and legal organizations, international law firms, international multilateral investment banks, international professional services membership organizations and online, print and broadcast media.
- Created custom content for use by an elite ASEAN region boutique law firm for publication in a widely-read regional legal news publication.
- Researched and drafted topical articles for the leadership of Asia-Pacific region NewLaw firms.
- Researched and drafted topical articles on behalf of professional services senior management teams for placement in major domestic and international print and online media publications and trade publications.
- Provided a US private equity group with custom content for use across both digital and print platforms designed for key audiences ranging from institutional investors to middle market corporate executives.
- Researched and drafted topical articles for use by an online news magazine startup focused on business solutions to the US private equity industry.
- Assisted an ASEAN region elite boutique law firm establish a content marketing initiative focused on foreign investors. Efforts included research and drafting of topical articles.
- Provided the publisher of a major US historical magazine with ongoing research and writing services in support of special publish projects about US federal government issues.
- Researched and drafted topical articles for online and offline use by a multi-disciplinary legal technology and outsourcing firm in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Researched and drafted content for a new website for an elite US boutique investment bank.
- Researched and drafted written content for use on and off digital platforms for an elite corporate boutique law firm in Singapore.
- Researched and drafted written content for use on and offline for an elite boutique law firm in Tokyo specializing in infrastructure finance, governmental relations, mergers and acquisitions and trade and investment facilitation.
- Researched and drafted website content for an elite boutique Washington, DC public affairs consultancy focused primarily on federal legislative advocacy on behalf of domestic corporate clients.
- Researched, drafted and edited website content for the federal regulatory practice of an elite Washington, DC public policy and regulatory law firm.
- Researched and drafted a range of marketing material including directory submissions for an elite international law firm on subjects including Brexit, environmental litigation and regulation, EU cybersecurity, data privacy and data protection, US government contracts, impact investing, intellectual property, dispute resolution, US Federal Appellate and Supreme Court litigation, and venture capital, private equity and M&A.
Books and e-books
- Researched and drafted a semi-scholarly e-book about European Union public affairs engagement for foreign multinational corporate leaders.
- Authored a 90,000 word semi-scholarly book on macro-economic trends and their application to the Asia-Pacific Region legal services markets for publication by a major European professional services sector publisher.
- Assisted a European-based legal technology startup create e-books focused on contemporary trends in law firm practice management.
- Helped an elite boutique tax and legal firm in the Maldives create an advanced digital marketing effort focused on expanding brand recognition and referrals in international markets.
- Assisted an elite Tokyo boutique legal and compliance recruitment firm establish a content marketing effort focused on establishing a thought leadership position in international legal markets. Efforts included research and drafting of topical articles, content creation for — and management of — social media channels
- Assisted elite boutique law firms, legal recruiters, legal services sector companies, individual legal practitioners and law firm staff in the European Union, the United States, Africa, Latin America and the Asia-Pacific Region establish and consistently maintain a variety of social media channels. Work focused on the dissemination of custom content to discerning audiences, market research, expansion of brand awareness, media relations and referral relationship cultivation.
- Identified and assisted the practice group leader of an AmLaw 200 law firm secure a multi-billion dollar publicly traded global energy corporation as a new client in relation to complex legal and governmental advocacy assistance in the Middle East & North Africa region.
- Assisted an Asia-Pacific region elite boutique law firm develop a sophisticated, comprehensive business development plan aimed at securing new clients from prime sources of foreign direct investment into their home jurisdiction.
- Working closely with the managing partner of an elite Hong Kong boutique law firm, created a new custom business development and marketing plan for the firm focused on international markets.
- Conducted a business development audit for an ASEAN region elite boutique law firm and provided ongoing strategic counsel on the implementation of this custom plan.
- Helped a London-based lawyer and specialist in sub-Saharan Africa infrastructure and finance law craft a custom business development plan for a leading international law firm.
- Helped a Central and Eastern European Region (CEE) attorney create a comprehensive business development plan for a global law firm.
- Provided ongoing comprehensive strategic counsel to a Mexico corporate attorney related to building a foreign client base.
- Assisted the CEO of an Eastern European legal services sector technology company identify and engage with senior law firm management executives in Europe.
- Identified and assisted a Washington, DC-based SEC law partner secure a non-US trade association in need of partial exemptive relief from the extraterritorial application of a US regulation.
- Identified and assisted a Washington-DC based trade law partner secure a foreign sovereign prime minister as a client for assistance with correcting outdated tariffs being applied to exported goods to the US.
- Identified and assisted the managing partner of a Brazilian public procurement law firm secure US corporate clients seeking public sector contracts in Brazil.
- Identified and assisted a US federal public policy law practice group secure overseas financial services clients in need of comprehensive US compliance assistance.
- Identified and assisted US federal marketing and Gulf States law practice groups secure Japanese and other East Asia-based clients in need of assistance in securing US and GCC public and private sector contracts.
- Identified and assisted a US law firm partner secure a large European energy provider seeking to secure US public sector contracts.
- Identified and assisted an EU public affairs consultancy secure US corporate clients seeking EU public contracts via engagement with decision-makers both in Brussels and within EU member state capitals.
- Identified and assisted a US litigation practice secure a European corporate client in need of a liability audit prior to entering the US market.
- Assisted US mid-market focused investment banking professionals secure US clients in need of debt, equity, restructuring and valuation services.
- Identified and assisted an EU corporate law practice secure a corporate client in need of comprehensive M&A counsel for purposes of making a cross-border EU acquisition.
- Identified and assisted a US Intellectual Property (IP) practice secure a European corporate client in need of an IP audit prior to entering the US market.
- Identified and assisted a Mexican corporate law firm managing partner identify and secure a European corporate client in need of legal counsel related to the establishment of operations in Mexico.
- Assisted US private equity groups establish EU operations and identify acquirable assets across a broad spectrum of sectors, revenue profiles and geographic locations within the EU.
- Provided comprehensive, personal training to international lawyers and in-house legal marketing & business development professionals on fundamentals of international and domestic legal business development.
- While working in China, Japan, the ASEAN Region and the European Union on behalf of a US international law firms, initiated and developed comprehensive referral relationships with professional services providers in those jurisdictions.
For more information or for a discussion about how John might help you, please complete the form below: